I apologize for not blogging any sooner... although I do believe I am the only one who reads this... as I have not publicly advertised it. My life has been crazy busy.. I completed my 5 solo days in science and had so much fun. Mrs. Griffin is an awesome teacher and her classroom environment is how I want my classroom. After being with her homeroom class, everything changed. I am writing this blog because in a few years I want to be able to look back at this and remember my experience.
I need to backtrack for a moment... ever since I decided I wanted to teach elementary school, I have ALWAYS said I want to teach the little kids. I LOVED my experience in 1st grade... I never wanted to leave... I was scared to death for my student teaching semester because I knew I had to teach an upper grade. When I saw my letter that I was going to be in 5th grade... It took all I could not to have a panic attack in front of my peers. I was freaked out. These kids are huge.. their attitudes are sassy... their hormones are flying... They're just downright scary. Little did I know what was in store for me this semester. I have had some bad days.. but it has all been a huge learning experience. Over the past 3 months, I have fallen in love with fifth grade. I LOVE IT. It is SO much fun. I look forward to coming to school every single day. They make me laugh, smile, and laugh. They're hilarious. They never cease to amaze me. I think this opinion was made stronger by spending two weeks with Mrs. Griffin. She was so encouraging and the way she directs her classes is great. My cooperating teacher is good.. and we get along most of the time, but some of the things she does, I do not agree with. These kids are awesome. They're a great bunch of kids. They have their days.. and some times I just want to pull my hair out... but I wouldn't trade this experience for anything. I think being with Mrs. Griffin helped me "let my hair down" some.. I was basing my personality off of Mrs. Lomax's and trying to be hardcore... But that's not me. I am easy going.. as long as you listen I am cool with you. Sometimes a kid just needs a good talking too.. not a check mark for their conduct. I find myself laughing more.. and I find the kids opening up to me more and more everyday. I am actually starting to wish I had more time with them. I am going to be so sad on April 30 when I leave them. :[ I already am planning on coming to their honors day assembly and graduation. They're so amazing. I feel like I am gushing, but I am dead serious. I love these kids... I love being with them and teaching them. I am so glad God has complete control over my life.. because he showed me that 5th grade is wonderful.. when I was too consumed with the cute little kids in the lower grades.
One of the boys, Seth, has a bad home life.. I am not too sure what is going on, but I believe his parents are not too concerned with his school life. He comes to school in tattered clothes, no breakfast, half asleep. He is precious and I just want to hug him everytime I see him. He is in special edu , but he really does not need to be. He has problems writing, but he has the ability to do work, he's just slipped by doing nothing. When I was doing my 10 consecutive days, Seth was working with Dustin on a group assignment. I sat at their table to monitor their progress and he was participating. I was amazed and so excited that he was engaged in the activity, I hung around just to hear what they were doing. Of course, they're boys, so they were being silly.... but their sentences were working and they were making me laugh. Seth was so happy he made me laugh.. it was so sweet. That was the first day I looked at him differently. I had heard about Seth... he was the boy who never does his work.. and a distraction... unfortunately I had already formed an opinion about him. After being with Mrs. Griffin, everything changed. My heart hurts for him. I just want to take him home with me.. and play with him. He has so much potential.. but no one is there to push him. To make him feel like it's worth it.. I am scared that he is going to just get pushed through the school system.. until he can drop out. Today he told me he wanted to be a hobo. I told him that if I ever saw him on the side of the road, I would be taking him home. When I was teaching in Mrs. Griffin's room, we were doing a social studies project. It was a group project and seth was attempting to participate. However, I was soon called to an arguing group. Seth was explaining to me that the other members would not let him do anything.. long story short.. another kid told Seth he could not participate because "he can't write." OH I was FURIOUS!!!!!!!!! How dare someone say something so mean.. Seth was nearly in tears. He shut down .. so I went to Mrs. Griffin for help. She took him outside to talk to him. I was so mad at those group members. They squashed his attempt to participate in the group... and added one more reason for him to hate school and not try. From that day on.. I decided I was going to try and make Seth my friend. Yesterday, I was helping him with a descriptive writing prompt. He had to choose a real or imaginary place to write about. He made up his own place called Monkey World. It take all of me to get him to open up.. after making him laugh he started opening up to me. Today when he walked in the room.. he smiled and waved at me. I was so ecstatic. I can not even explain the feeling that gave me. I had to sit with Mrs. Griffin's class today at 2:45 till dismissal. As I dismissed the students, Seth was the last one out. I told him that I dreamed about Monkey World and his face lit up. I hope this is a start ... I only have a month left with him, but maybe I can make a small difference in his life. I love these 5th graders. Even the ones that drive me crazy.. I love them just the same. This semester has been the best. I have learned so much. I would like to keep blogging, but it is getting late and I need my sleep. I have to be bright eyed and cheerful for my kids. ;]
P.S I am not proof reading this.. so I hope it makes sense..
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment